Monday, May 19, 2008

SIMRAN


After spending TAH, I met with my new student at the petro on 5/13 in the A.M. Hitting the road we had a pre-assigned load, very unusual to get, picking up in the Joliet area taking items to the $tree in "OK HAND-IT-OVER" (OHIO). we actually got there early. It was due on the 14th by 0300, and we burned our 14, delivering it n the 13th. next we got a load from springfield, 1 of many, OH, to Marietta, OK. again we delivered a day early, This allowed us to be loaded and going to INDY for my recert. They deadheaded us 191 mile to load, with 853 to INDY.
While at Marietta, We stayed at a small truckstop in walking distance of a BBQ shack. VERY small, but great food. I was surprised when I walked inside and was invited to sit with a buch of guys in the back room. Thoughts were, DO I GO IN? VERY friendly-ONE was the owner of the place, "HICKORY RIBS BBQ". His name was LARRY. Then was TED, BRAD and as any small town would have a BILLY-FRED.
Larry guaranteed His would be the best ribs I ever tasted. I nin turn, guaranteed they'd be the best I ever tasted in OKLAHOMA. Of course, I never had BBQ ribs in Oklahoma before. Also as could be expected, the music of choice was being played on the BOSE. Three choices were COUNTRY, COUNTRY, AND MORE COUNTRY!! lARRY'S PLACE CLOSED AT 7 P.M. Kinda early I thought, but considering where its located (EXIT 15 on I35). Larry sid I could park my truck behind this location, but I was already settled in at the TS on the opposite side of the interstate. As I was leaving for a good walk back to my truck, BILLY-FRED offered my a ride in his pickup back to my truck. AS I SAID, GREAT PEOPLE.
Leaving Oklahoma we fueled at a petro at JOPLIN, drove a few more hundred miles and stayed a night at the VOSS TS on I44 exit 208. Excellent food, gr8t parking. When we got there, early evening only a few dozen trucks. By morning there were hundreds. SEE FOTOS



Again delivering a day early (WE'RE GOOD), We got to the drop, only to have a female yard jockey scrape a trailer accross my nose of the truck. Now for the accident reports, at least it's not my fault, and I won't get into the details here. Enough said--watch out for irrate yard jockeys.




Now at INDY, I finished my recert on Sunday. After recert, Simran and I met with my son's godparents PAUL and MARKEY. Simran introduced us to INDIAN cuisine in the INDY area. SUPER FOOD, at SHALIMAR @ 1043 BROAD RIPPLE. I can't begin to tell you what I had, other tha the sample platter. Finished my Spring training on Monday, burning my 70 hours. Now e're on a restart for which Ill get layover. BACK ON THE ROAD @ 4 on Wednesday.




Now back to my student, SIMRAN. Originally from INDIA, a great guy, and dedicated to learn. He's had his SHIFTING MOMENTS, but is progessing well. Like most student, his grinding keeps me awake in the passenger seat. The shifting is getting much better, as he transfers the grinding to me. Simran does great in his trip planning and catches on fast, with his reading signs and decision making skills. At this rate, I anticipate sending him to SQT on the 26th at Green Bay.




No comments: